UPPAbaby is all about family, so when we are choosing our brand ambassadors, it's important that their values align with ours.
Joy and her partner Simona have a gorgeous baby boy named Alfie. Joy is a former Ireland women's rugby international player, and is now a rugby union referee. She represented Ireland internationally and captained the first Ireland team to defeat France.
Joy retired from being a rugby player and became a referee. Since then, she has procured an impressive collection of games she has taken charge of, including the Women's Six Nations Championship, and the Women's Rugby World Cup, including the final in 2017.
Joy is the first woman to referee matches in the national leagues of Ireland, Wales and Italy. She also was the first woman to take charge of a top-level men's rugby union match in the United Kingdom and was named the World Rugby referee of the year in 2017! Needless to say, Joy's professional achievements are extremely impressive.
So how does she manage it all with baby Alfie? We've asked her a few questions to get to know her a little better.
- You have had an amazing career playing and captaining Ireland and achieving some real career highs. We are hearing a lot about women's participations levels in team sports falling off. Is there anything you would say to teenage girls to encourage them to continue participating in their chosen sport?
- You've achieved so many firsts in your career as a female referee in women's & men's rugby. What do you consider the highlight so far?
As a referee - So many to mention but on top of the list would include refereeing the Women's World Cup Final. As a player we worked so hard to reach the final which we never achieved. It was extra special to get there as a referee and a massive honour to referee in that tournament on home soil. Another extremely special moment in my career was refereeing my first Pro14 game (Ulster V Southern Kings). It was even more special as the first Women to referee in that Men's professional competition.
- Your job entails lots of travel and weekend work. How do you manage that now with Alfie?
- Which UPPAbaby stroller is your favourite and what do you like the most about it?
- What is your number one UPPAbaby accessory that you could not be without?
We are so excited to have Joy be a part of our UPPAbaby family, she's the perfect fit!